Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Never Let Me Go

I loved Kazuo Ishiguro’s ‘Never Let Me Go’. It starts off with the carefree everyday childhood of a group of students, but there is a hint of some sort of impending tragedy in these kids’ futures. It’s only when the kids grow up in the story that the plot falls into place (I wont spoil it for anyone here). The book raises questions about fate & suffering, about science & morality, about social reforms & injustice and about free will. Best of all, it makes you realize what a wonderful gift life is; no matter how abrupt & uncontrollable it may seem.

4 comments:

clickable said...

I loved this book too. What I found heartbreaking though, was that none of the characters tried to change/go against their fate in any way. Wonder if that was kind of the hidden meaning in the book - indifference/lapping up things as they come your way.

Radha said...

I thought so too, that the author was drawing a parellel with those who assume that free-will does not exist & that one has no option but to accept one's fate as it is dished out by the 'creator'.

Afternoon Latte said...

It was a very different book from what I expected....I agree with what clickable said about the "giving in to your fate" attidtude of the characters....

Radha said...

Yes, it was very different from his previous book.